Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fruit and veg

I have a problem with getting obsessed with things pretty easily, and then dropping them from my thoughts just as easily a few months later.  I often toy with the idea of improving the quality of my food--making my own jam, yogurt, bread, etc, so I know exactly what's going into it.  Commitment to actually doing these things is the hard part for me.  So, in an effort to make myself actually carry out my imagined ideals, I decided to sign up for a weekly CSA.  Every Friday, a box of fruits and vegetables will be dropped at my door.  Colorado's growing season is short enough that it's not all local by a long shot, but that kind of compromise is okay with me...I'm approaching this with a "baby steps" attitude.  This week my box is going to contain leeks--here's a recipe that I'm going to try to make.  I've adapted this one from epicurious; it seems like a cozy meal for the cold weather we've been having lately.  And if I'm really ambitious, I'm going to try homemade yogurt this weekend.  We'll see what actually happens--I'm predicting something smack dab in the middle of "lazy" and "productive."

Potato and Leek Pie

3 tablespoons butter
1 3/4 cups 1/3-inch cubes peeled red-skinned potatoes (10 to 12 ounces) (also in my box!)
1 1/2 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 2 medium)
1-2 fennel bulbs, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Pie crust (recipe doubled), room temperature
1 egg, beaten to blend (for glaze)

Melt butter in skillet. Add potatoes, leeks, and fennel. Stir 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.  Remove skillet from heat. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper. Cool completely.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out crust to round pie shape and size (~10-12 inches in diameter). Cut each crust into 2 pieces along center line. Brush dough with egg. Place 1/2 cup filling on half of each piece. Fold plain dough over filling; seal edges. Brush pies with more egg; arrange on 2 baking sheets. Bake pies 15 minutes. Reverse sheets. Bake until crust is golden and filling is heated through, about 10 minutes.